There is a difference between Toyota OEM Parts vs. Aftermarket Parts
So, you’re considering adding an accessory or need to replace a part on your Toyota. You may be hoping to save a few dollars by using an aftermarket part or buying your genuine Toyota OEM part online.
Before you make a mistake that could void your warranty, cause damage to your engine and make your pockets hurt, you need to be aware of the difference between Toyota OEM parts and aftermarkets parts. Where you purchase and get the part installed is also a primary consideration as counterfeit parts are a real issue.
What is a Toyota OEM part, and why are they the preferred option?
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer – so when a part requires replacing on a vehicle, OEM parts are made by the same manufacturer, with the same materials, to the same specifications as the factory built original.
Toyota has a rigorous process of designing, testing, and ensuring all their vehicle models and genuine Toyota OEM parts have optimum durability and reliability. All parts are manufactured with the top level of safety, endurance, and enjoyment for a vehicle that will safely and conveniently transport you and your family for years to come.
Toyota Genuine Parts are only available exclusively from Toyota dealers and are tested to the same high quality as your Toyota vehicle. Sourcing your Toyota OEM parts from a Toyota dealership ensures that they are genuine Toyota parts and not counterfeit, which can lead to a whole new level of issues for your car, not just the part you want to add or replace.
A high level of manufacturing and testing ensures a foolproof perfect fit, engineered and tested to the highest possible standard by the same manufacturer that designed and built your vehicle.
What are Aftermarket Parts?
Aftermarket parts are generally what an independent mechanic or repair agent will carry. These parts are manufactured by companies that have not been involved in any way with the vehicle manufacturer.
Often, they may not be made with the same materials, do not fit perfectly, and are available to purchase from anywhere online. However, they are often much cheaper, so let's investigate WHY they are cheaper and if this is an advantage or possibly a ticking time bomb.
- Aftermarket parts are usually mass-produced, may not fit perfectly, often have a shorter lifespan, and can even cause damage to the surrounding parts.
- Using aftermarket parts means you are not using a certified Toyota repairer. This can void the warranty for your vehicle and other genuine Toyota OEM parts if it fails and causes damage.
- Aftermarket parts are not tested and engineered to the same high standards as genuine Toyota OEM Parts.
- Aftermarket parts are easier to counterfeit as they can be purchased anywhere. The source cannot always be verified as reliable and reputable.
- Counterfeit parts are a huge risk to the safety of your vehicle and its precious cargo. Some have even been found to contained asbestos.
- Although they may "fit" your Toyota, they are probably not model specific and may not consider the needs of your specific motor or model shape. At best, this may cause faster wear and tear. At worst, it may cause failure and damage to the Genuine Toyota Motor or parts surrounding it.
Why aftermarket parts can cost you a fortune down the line
While installing an aftermarket part in your Toyota may seem appealing at the initial purchase and installation price, it can cost you considerably down the line.
Always using a Genuine Toyota OEM part purchased from a dealership and installed by a certified technician or repair agent ensures that your vehicle's warranty remains valid.
Ensuring you protect your warranty and avoid getting void means that, if you are eligible, you get “two on top,” extending your warranty to seven years with the warranty advantage. That's an advantage worth protecting.
OEM parts from Ken Mills Toyota are Toyota quality and 100% warranty compliant.