It’s time to choose your next car… so which compact SUV is best for you? Or more to the point, CH-R vs Yaris Cross?
Narrowing down your options is not always an easy feat. It takes research, comparison and a lot of free time. But let’s face it, not everyone has the time available to do their own independent research, so we have put together this comprehensive Toyota Yaris Cross/ CH-R comparison to save you some valuable time.
Yaris Cross vs CH-R… a comprehensive vehicle comparison
The all-new Yaris Cross might be small but impressively, it has it all. There is no lack of comfort or space with this compact SUV.
The compact CH-R is changing the rules when it comes to SUVs. This SUV has style, space and the latest technology.
Style comparison – It’s time to flaunt it
Style and design are one of the first things people take into consideration when buying a car. You want a car that looks good. That looks the part. That’s stylish and modern. This includes everything from colours to accents and trims. So, how do these two models stand up against each other - and your expectations?
Paint the town red - Colour options
For some, the colour is one of the most important car features, often searching for a specific colour and not settling for anything less. What colour options are available with these two vehicles?
Yaris Cross – this little rocket is available in 8 unique colours – from inky black to glimmering Tuscon Gold.
CH-R – this exciting SUV is available in up to nine varying colours, with an additional roof colour option available on both the KOBA and GR SPORT variants.
Express yourself - Design comparison
If you are more intrigued by the actual design of your car instead of the colour, then this section will be of more interest to you. Here is a list of some of the best design features and accessories that come with these Toyota vehicles.
Yaris Cross – the Yaris Cross may be compact but it is also modern and practical. Here are just some of the great designs featured in this versatile hatchback.
- Alloy wheels – GX and GXL come standard with 16” alloy wheels and the Urban model comes standard with 18” wheels. The Hybrid options come with same size alloy wheels as their matching model.
- Sleek lines – the all-new Toyota Yaris Cross has been designed so every line and curve points forward. This makes the Yaris look speedy, even when it is stationary. Brooom brooom!
- Power tailgate with kick sensor – even with your hands full, you can load that car up for your next adventure
- Seats - 20/40/20 split fold rear seats that can be individually folded flat to increase rear luggage space.
- Heated Seats – the Urban model offers heated front seats for the driver and passenger.
CH-R – if you are looking for the perfect blend of style and sportiness, the CH-R is just what you are looking for. It is bold and says, look at me. Design features include:
- Alloy wheels - base model GXL comes standard with 17” wheels. Koba comes with 18” wheels and the GR Sport comes with dark smoke 19" alloy wheels.
- Floating roof - sculpted sides with a sleek black trim along the roofline give the appearance of a floating roof. This puts the Toyota C-HR in a league of its own.
- Seats – black fabric seats come standard with the GXL. The KOBA has leather accented seats with the front seats being 3 stage dual-zone heated. The GR Sport comes standard with leather accented seats. 60/40 split fold rear seats.
- Interior – the GR Sport model shows off GR Sport interior door trim, sport pedals, shift lever and knob
Buckle up - Safety comparison
Safety is at the forefront of must haves with any car these days.
Yaris Cross – Looking for intelligent safety technology? Look no further! The Yaris Cross is filled with safety features you’ll wonder how you managed to live without.
- 5-star 2020 ANCAP rating
- Airbags - 8 SRS airbags to give you maximum protection should you have an accident.
- Lane Trace Assist – helping to keep you steady in your lane, the Lane Trace Assist provides steering assistance should you go out of the lines.
- Pre-Collision Safety system – this feature helps to avoid or reduce the potential collision with other cars, pedestrians or daylight cyclists by detecting them pre-collision and alerting you to them.
- Intersection safety – using the Pre-Collision Safety feature, the Yaris is the first Toyota car in Australia to utilise this technology at intersections.
- Road Sign Assist – helping you to not only be more aware of the road signs around you, this safety feature could save your life by prompting you to slow down if you have not adjusted your speed accordingly after passing a speed limit road sign.
- Automatic High Beam – high beam is great when driving at night but it can also be a distraction to other drivers on the road. This Automatic High Beam technology uses a built-in camera to sense tail lights of cars in front of you and headlights of oncoming traffic. When these are detected, the sensor shifts the headlights from high beam to low beam. As this is just a driver-assist feature to help make driving safer for everyone on the road and not designed to replace safe driving practices, this feature can be overridden by using the high beam switch.
- Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert – the Yaris Cross GXL and Urban models offer blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alerting – minimising the risk of backing out into coming traffic.
- Reversing Camera – whether you want to ensure there are no children behind your car or just want to make sure you aren’t going to back into a pole, the reversing camera helps to show you beyond a rear-view mirror so you can see exactly what is behind you.
- Brake Assist – this feature increases the braking force to slow down faster when emergency braking is detected.
- Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control and Active Cornering Assist – responsive performance is enhanced with stability control, traction control and active cornering assist to provide the traction, balance and stability you need for a comfortable and safe ride in the most challenging of driving conditions.
- Head-Up Display – available as standard on the ZR, important information such as your speed is projected on your windscreen with the Head-Up Display so you can stay forward focused.
CH-R – This SUV delivers when it comes to safety features! You can rest assured that you will be safe and well protected when driving the CH-R. Check out some of the safety features.
- 5-star 2017 ANCAP safety rating
- Airbags - 7 SRS airbags to protect you and your family.
- Traction Control (TRC) – when your wheels are spinning on low grip surfaces, the traction control will help you to maintain control and regain traction.
- Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) – just like the Yaris Cross, the CH-R also includes heaps of great safety technology. The Toyota Safety Sense includes: Pre-Collision Safety System, Road Sign Assist, Lane Departure Alert and Lane Trace Alert.
- Active Cruise Control – not only does Cruise Control keep your vehicle at a pre-selected speed, it now also automatically adjusts the acceleration and deceleration to the traffic moving in front of you.
- Automatic High Beam – just like the Yaris Cross, automatic high beam sensor is standard.
- Reverse camera – standard with GR Sport model.
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) – detecting vehicles and motorbikes in your blind spots, the radar sensors alert you on your side mirror before you pull out onto the road or change lanes.
- Front and rear parking sensors – to assist with making parking easier and safer, radar sensors are fitted to the front and rear of the Toyota CH-R.
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) – no more struggles with hill starts and rolling back while trying to take off. The Hill Start Assist gives you more time to move between the brake pedal and the accelerator pedals.
- Brake Assist – this feature increases the braking force to slow down faster when emergency braking is detected.
- Panoramic view monitor – available with the CH-R Koba, these four cameras combine giving you a bird's eye view of your surroundings to help make parking much easier and safer.
How much can it fit - Space comparison
No one wants a car that they can’t fit their life into so let’s take a look at he space comparison between the CH-R SUV vs Yaris Cross SUV.
Yaris Cross – if the boot space of 314L isn’t quite big enough, take advantage of the extra space when you fold the back seats down flat.
CH-R – boasting a larger cargo space of 318L, there’s plenty of space for you to load up the car and have a fun family day or adventure.
Shine bright like a diamond – Lighting comparison
Lighting is constantly improving and it is important for vehicles to keep up to date.
Yaris Cross – showing off the LED running lights and tail lights with LED headlights on the GXL and Urban models, you’ll always been seen.
CH-R – the CH-R also features the new LED headlights but also combines them with a more distinctive and wider stance for a more dramatic look on the road.
Are you smarter than a Toyota? - Technology comparison
Technology is constantly evolving, so it makes sense that cars will also take on some of these great inventions. How do they compare?
Both the Yaris Cross and the CH-R come standard with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™. You can access your messages, directions and your favourite playlists via easy-to-use voice command. In addition to that, you will also find:
Yaris Cross – the Yaris Cross comes with a 7” display audio system, 6 speakers, DAB+ Digital Audio and Bluetooth® and Sat Nav and SUNA traffic channel standard on the GXL and Urban.
CH-R – the multimedia system in the CH-R has an 8” colour touchscreen display, 6 speakers and AM/FM radio with satellite navigation.
At the pump – Hybrid or petrol comparison
Petrol or Hybrid? The choice is yours. Both of these vehicles have Hybrid options available which are not only better for the environment, but also save you money in the long run! LEARN MORE ABOUT HYBRID HERE.
Yaris Cross – available as Hybrid in the 2WD and AWD models, it is certainly fuel efficient getting 3.8L/100km for the 2WD Hybrid or 4.0L/100km for the AWD Hybrid (and with a still impressive 5.4L/100km for the petrol model)!
CH-R – available in 2WD or AWD and also a Hybrid option, you aren’t lacking for choice. While all options are quite fuel efficient, petrol at just 6.6L/100km or the Hybrid alternative that charges while you drive using just 4.3L/100km!
The hot goss – Anything else you might like to know
There are so many great features of both these cars that it isn’t possible to list them all. Here are some of the hot features that make a driver’s experience more comfortable and enjoyable.
Yaris Cross - check out these other great features.
- 1.5L Dynamic Force direct injection engine with an auto CVT transmission (2WD & AWD)
- Drive mode select on all Yaris Cross models
- Smart entry and smart start on all Yaris Cross models
- Air conditioning with climate control across all models
- Front and Rear Power Windows in all models
CH-R – what else is on offer in this compact SUV?
- GR tuned suspension and GR branded brake calipers
- 1.2L turbo engine with a 7-speed auto CVT transmission (Available in 2WD or AWD), or 1.8L Toyota Hybrid System and auto CVT transmission (Available in 2WD)
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Privacy Glass on back and rear windows in the KOBA and GR Sport models
- Rain-sensing wipers
There are so many great features on each of these cars. Yaris Cross vs CH-R… which one came on top for you? Which one suits your family, your lifestyle or your preferences best? If you need an expert to chat through your options with, the friendly team at Ken Mills Toyota are here to help.
Why not book a test drive today? Get in touch!